Deadline: 30 June 2021
In this most unprecedented of years, we are delighted to be offering a major new scholarship for international students, the Global Masters Scholarship, an award of £10,000 to provide support for you to study at the University of Birmingham in 2021/22.
What is the Global Masters Scholarship?
Birmingham has a proud heritage of removing barriers to education to enable the most academically talented students to fulfil their potential in learning and education.
In keeping with this tradition we are proud to be launching the Global Masters Scholarship to attract and support the most academically talented international students from across the world to our Masters degrees during the 2021/22 academic year.
Approximately 30 scholarships will be awarded with a value of up to £10,000 GBP. This award will be deducted from the total tuition fees owed by each successful scholar.
Who is eligible for a Global Masters Scholarship?
In order to be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements. Candidates must:
- Have received, and accepted, an offer of admission for a taught Masters degree at the University of Birmingham UK Campus to study in the 2021/22 academic year.
- Be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the eligible countries.
- Be classed by the University as an overseas fee payer for tuition fee purposes.
- Start their studies at the University in September/ October 2021 on a course delivered on-campus.
- Be academically exceptional and able to provide evidence for this in the scholarship application statement. Candidates must also have, or be expecting to achieve, a first class overall grade (at least 70% in the UK system) in a bachelors degree or equivalent.
As an example, the minimum equivalent grade requirement in the US, India, Nigeria and China are as follows:
- 3.5 out of 4.0 and above in the US GPA system.
- 70% in the Indian grading system
- 3.5 (out of 4.0) or 4.5 (out of 5.0) or 6.2 (out of 7.0) in the Nigerian grading system
- 85% grade awarded by a top tier Chinese University, 90% grade awarded by a mid-tier Chinese University
Students in receipt of a full scholarship or sponsorship covering full tuition fees from an alternative internal or external source are also not eligible for this scholarship. Those with other partial awards may be able to conjoin this scholarship with other scholarships.
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Candidates must be classed as ‘domiciled’ in one of the following countries:
- China (PRC)
- Hong Kong (SAR of PRC)
Who is not eligible for the scholarship?
- Students applying for programmes in the Birmingham Business School are not eligible for this scholarship but are eligible for other separate MSc and MBA scholarships offered by the Business School.
- If you defer your programme, you will no longer be eligible for the scholarship award as it is only available for the 2021 academic year.
- Students seeking to study on a course solely delivered as a ‘distance learning programme are not eligible for this scholarship.
Selection process and awarding
Once the deadline has passed the scholarship applications will be collated and a longlist formed on the basis of the information provided. Selection panels will be formed comprising academic and professional services staff across the five Colleges of the University, which will be tasked with shortlisting and selection to identify those candidates demonstrating the highest academic talent.
Successful candidates will be formally notified via email before the 31 July 2021. Regrettably, owing to the volume of applications received, we will only be contacting those who have been successfully selected.
The University will make its best endeavours to input the scholarship details onto each student’s CAS record for visa application purposes by the 31 July 2021 (this ‘note’ will be visible for the UKVI but not the student). The scholarship, applied as a discount to tuition fees, will be awarded upon enrolment of the successful candidates in September 2021.
How to apply
This is a competitive scholarship and candidates who fulfil the eligibility requirements outlined above, and who have been issued and accepted an offer of admission to a Masters degree at Birmingham, are welcome to apply for this scholarship by completing our online scholarship application form which can be accessed using the link below.
Please complete the form accurately and in full as any incomplete applications will not be considered and cannot be amended once submitted. Please only complete the scholarship application form once as any duplicate applications will not be considered and we will only review your first submission.
You can apply here.