A Senior Accountant job description is an essential employment profile for every finance department. According to Gitnux, around 70% of small firms do not have an accountant, and more than half rely only on their owner or manager to manage their accounts. A Senior Accountant is a mid-level professional in charge of the accounting department. Their main task is to compile an organization's report, which includes everything from cost-productivity and margins to expenditure.
Senior Accountant generates financial reports and does research and analysis. They maintain the general ledger, reconcile accounts, assist with audit preparations, and perform other necessary accounting activities. In some organizations, a Senior Accountant is in charge of a team of junior accountants and serves as a liaison between junior accountants, accounting managers, and directors, enforcing and monitoring adherence to company-wide accounting regulations and procedures.
A bachelor's degree in accounting is required, but a master's degree or substantial experience in the financial industry is often desired for a senior accountant position. Senior Accountants are required to have strong analytical skills as well as good knowledge of Microsoft Excel. They will require a solid understanding of accounting operations, such as preparing month-end reports and financial forecasts.
The Senior Accountant Job description should list the primary duties, the knowledge, skills, abilities, and other qualities (KSAO) necessary for an individual to perform the job well.
Related: Junior Accountant Job Description
Senior Accountant Job description: Overall Purpose of the job
The Senior Accountant verifies that finances and financial records adhere to predetermined standards and requirements. Their duties include reviewing financial documents and recording and confirming transactions.
Senior Accountant Job description: Primary duties
- Creates and assesses liability, asset, and capital accounts by compiling electronic data and necessary documents;
- Summarizes and generates financial status and transaction reports by collecting and verifying financial information;
- Helps in the preparation of annual audits by maintaining accurate records throughout the fiscal year;
- Monitors and maintains a new audit system by introducing new policies and procedures in the finance department;
- Assists junior accountants and other personnel by answering inquiries and coordinating informational workshops;
- Makes recommendations for changes to the accounting systems and practices by analyzing and reviewing them;
- Increases company profits and revenues by implementing plans and monitoring and controlling the company's cash flow;
- Ensures compliance with legal and regulatory standards by acquainting the finance team with new accounting trends instituted by regulatory agencies.
Related: Job Description for Forensic Accountant
Senior Accountant Job Description: Educational Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, or business administration is required as it provides an educational foundation;
- A master's degree in accounting is required in most organizations as candidates are prepared for the advanced position and leadership responsibilities;
- Certifications like a certified public accountant (CPA) or Chartered Certified Accountant (CCA) are also preferred.
Related: Job Description of an Account Executive
Senior Accountant Job description: Experience Required
- Over three years of general accounting experience in a public accounting firm or a private company setting is required to handle the tasks assigned to them;
- Hands-on familiarity with accounting software systems is required to do data entry that is quick and straightforward and produce a comprehensive and detailed financial report;
- Experience creating budgets for the department to arrange team training and certifications.
Senior Accountant Job description: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics (KSAO)
- Knowledge of accounting software and Microsoft Office Suite or related software is required to create reports and run data analytics;
- Working understanding of non-profit tax filing and compliance rules is required to remain compliant;
- A thorough understanding of basic accounting procedures is required as it enables them to understand their tasks;
- Knowledge of Advanced Excel, such as Vlookups and pivot tables, is required to collect and provide correct data to improve decision-making;
- Comprehensive knowledge of financial application security is required to ensure that all financial data is secure and adheres to confidentiality regulations.
- Excellent financial analytical capabilities are required because the job necessitates a high level of analytical abilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are necessary to communicate with managers, financial specialists, and other accountants.
- Excellent organizational and stress management skills are necessary to handle the demands of the job.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are necessary to identify crucial or relevant aspects and then utilize these to construct compelling suggestions or solve an issue;
- The capability to work in a leadership role is required as they will supervise junior-level accountants.
- The ability to meet a steady stream of deadlines is required to be able to complete the tasks on time and meet expectations;
- The capability to train and manage employees is required to be able to supervise and guide other employees;
- The ability to work with little or no supervision is required because this role is a mid-level manager role in most organizations.
· Extremely detail-oriented is necessary to guarantee that financial accounts are reviewed carefully and that any anomalies are identified;
Related: Job Description of Finance Director: What Do You Need To Know
A Senior Accountant job description is an essential role for the finance department of an organization. Their duties include working as a leader to guide accounting employees through everyday tasks. They are also in charge of analyzing financial data in order to make forecasting decisions and conveying financial strategies to company management. They are in charge of their company's complicated accounting requirements.
Natasha Chimphondah is an organizational development consultant at Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a business management and human resources consulting firm.
Phone: (0242) 481946-9/481950
Mobile: (+263) 783836901
Main website: www.ipcconsultants.com