Deadline: October 6, 1:00 pm Pacific Time
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program cultivates and supports a highly-engaged, multidisciplinary and multicultural community of graduate students from across Stanford University, and delivers a diverse collection of educational experiences, preparing graduates to address complex challenges facing the world.
Our eligibility requirements help you determine if you may apply to be a Knight-Hennessy Scholar.
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program is a multidisciplinary and multicultural community. There are no restrictions based on age, college or university, the field of study, or career aspiration. We encourage citizens and residents of all countries to apply. We do not require applicants to seek endorsements from colleges, universities, or other institutions.
There are two baseline eligibility requirements.
- First, in addition to applying to Knight-Hennessy Scholars, you must apply to, be accepted by, and enroll in a full-time Stanford graduate degree program. Each incoming Knight-Hennessy Scholar must be a newly enrolling student in a Stanford graduate program including, but not limited to, DMA, JD, MA, MBA, MD, MFA, MPP, MS, or Ph.D. programs. There are no quotas by discipline or program. Note that we will give priority consideration to those who will spend at least two years studying at Stanford.
- Second, you must have earned, in January 2015 or later, a U.S. bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a college or university of recognized standing.
What do we look for?
INDEPENDENCE OF THOUGHT
We seek visionary thinkers who are curious, open-minded, analytical, eager for cross-cultural perspective, and genuinely excited to boldly and creatively address our world’s important challenges.
We seek courageous leaders who are ethical, decisive, resilient, driven to achieve meaningful results, and motivated to inspire others to effect positive change at scale.
We seek collaborative community members who are humble, empathetic, trustworthy, oriented to act in service of others, and deeply passionate about contributing to the greater good.
Applying to Knight-Hennessy Scholars
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars application process allows you to make your case for selection by demonstrating independence of thought, purposeful leadership, and a civic mindset.
We designed the Knight-Hennessy Scholars admission process with two goals: to first help you better know yourself — what you have done, who you are now, and what you aspire to do in the future — and to then help us know you better. We greatly enjoy reading your application materials, and we hope you will find inspiration, clarity, and reflection as you prepare them.
You must apply separately to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and to your Stanford graduate degree program. The Knight-Hennessy Scholars application will require you to indicate the Stanford graduate degree program(s) to which you will apply.
- Step 1: Start your online application for Knight-Hennessy Scholars and prepare application requirements. (Tip: Ask your recommenders early.)
- Step 2: Submit the online application for Knight-Hennessy Scholars by the deadline. (Note: You will not be able to edit once you submit your application, with the exception of test scores and recommenders)
- Step 3: If necessary, update test scores for Knight-Hennessy Scholars through your application status page.
- Separately: Prepare and submit all parts of your Stanford graduate degree program application by its deadline. Visit the program website to confirm its application deadline, program requirements, and any fees. Please review deadlines carefully as they vary by degree program, and some programs specify a separate application deadline specifically for Knight-Hennessy Scholars applicants
Again, you must apply separately to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program and to your Stanford graduate degree program.
Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program
- You must submit all Knight-Hennessy Scholars application materials in English via our online application. We do not accept materials sent via email or postal mail.
- We highly recommend that you apply using a current version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
- For reference only, here is a PDF sample of the application for the autumn 2021 intake.
View Nicholas Mushayi's full profile