The job description of cashier is one of the critical roles in any business that sells goods and services and handles cash. Because they handle large sums of money, you need to be clear on this job's primary purpose, duties and KSAOs. A cashier's job description usually entails working in a retail setting. Cashiers typically work in retail settings, such as grocery stores, department stores, and clothing stores. Some cashiers may also work in restaurants. While this position is primarily in retail, it may also be found in many other industries, but it is most common in retail.
The job involves operating a cash register, handling customer transactions, stocking shelves, and providing customer service. Cashiers need excellent customer service skills to perform well in this role. The cashier needs numerical ability, good communication skills, customer service orientation, and the ability to stay calm under pressure. A high school diploma is often seen on cashier resumes.
Cashiers need to have excellent customer service skills and be patient. Besides operating the cash register, greeting customers, providing assistance, and answering their queries, they are also responsible for scanning the items and bagging them. Other responsibilities include maintaining the cleanliness of their work area, accepting payments, issuing receipts and returning the change. A successful Cashier is hard-working, patient, and able to handle customer inquiries.
Cashiers handle large sums of money and other money-related transactions; for that reason, the cashier job requires individuals of high integrity and honesty. A successful Cashier can multitask and handle customer inquiries effectively. The qualification often listed in the cashier job description is a high school diploma. The cashier job requires fast and efficient individuals who are often driven by their high perceptual ability, finger dexterity, and attention to detail.
Job description of cashier: Overall purpose
The cashier is responsible for processing customer payments: Handling customer transactions, scanning items, bagging them, and accepting payments. They handle purchases, verify prizes, itemize, total, and receive payment. The responsibilities include answering customer inquiries and providing them with assistance.
Job description of cashier: Main duties
The job description of cashier must clearly outline the key responsibilities that the incumbent will perform in that role. Below are some of the duties cashiers perform.
- Processes customer payments by scanning products.
- Processes customer payments for goods by itemizing and totaling customer purchases.
- Calculates total purchases by recording prices and item prizes on the cash register.
- Processes payments by accepting cash, checks, credit cards, vouchers, or automated debits.
- Documents product pricing adjustments following price change guidelines.
- Discounts purchases by redeeming coupons.
- Collects payments by accepting the payment methods presented by the customer(cash, check, and electronic payments) and provides customers with change for cash for those paying cash.
- Verifies and accepts credit card payments by following all the necessary authorization requirements.
- Balances cash payments by counting cash at the beginning and end of the work shift.
- Balances payment transactions by balancing money received and things issued to consumers.
- Provides customers with pricing information by answering questions.
- Assists customers by answering their queries related to pricing, coupons, gift cards, and coupons.
- Completes payment processing by issuing receipts.
- Cross-sells items by engaging customers when they inquire about product pricing.
- Process all payments using correct prices by referring to price sheets and other internal guidelines.
- Handles customer returns by referring these to the relevant supervisor.
- Bags customer purchases by grouping items.
- Facilitates quick processing of customer payments by operating payment tools such as scanners, scales, and other devices
- Generates sales reports by compiling and consolidating payments process daily.
- Maintains a clean and safe work area by complying with policies and procedures.
- Assists customers in finding products by referring them to the correct location or a sales assistant.
- Assists customers by processing refunds and credits
- Assist customers by resolving their complaints.
- Maintains clean work area by mopping floors and emptying trash cans.
- Ensures customer products are packed adequately after receiving payment by bagging, boxing, and wrapping.
- Determines prices of some items by weighing items sold.
- Provides customer service by greeting customers and offering friendly service.
- Provides customers with their change by maintaining enough cash denominations.
- Advises customers about promotions by maintaining up-to-date knowledge about products and promotions.
Related: Job Description of Bookkeeper
Job description of cashier: Educational requirements
The job description of a cashier requires candidates to possess a high school diploma. Candidates over and above a high school diploma must know about payment platforms used in the retail sector.
Job description of cashier: Experience requirements
The cashier job description often does not require much experience as it is easy to train people to do this job. Most cashier roles require no more than one year of experience in similar roles. We have seen other employers train high school diploma holders without prior experience.
Job description of cashier: Other characteristics
In addition to the knowledge and experience provided, other characteristics are necessary for an individual to excel in this profession. I share below some of these KSAOs:
- Ability to work out change for customers quickly.
- Ability to reconcile sales processed at the end of each day.
- A natural ability to serve others.
- Ability to work in a similar body posture for long periods.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Good finger dexterity.
- High level of numerical ability.
- Good attention to detail.
- Good manual dexterity.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Capability to operate in a high-pressure situation.
- Excellent verbal communication
- Exposure and knowledge of point-of-sale systems.
- Experience using electronic payment equipment such as cash registers and point-of-sales machines.
- Experience dealing with demanding clients.
- The ability to read and comprehend written instructions.
The job description of cashier plays an essential role in most retail businesses as they facilitate clients' payments, bringing revenue to the organization. This job requires people who can work fast without making errors. The individual must have the natural ability to serve others. The good news about candidates in this role is no need for high levels of education as they require a high school diploma equivalent.
There are many people across the globe in this role, and this job description template should help those organizations planning to develop a job description for the cashier. Feel free to customize this template.
Memory Nguwi is an Occupational Psychologist, Data Scientist, Speaker, & Managing Consultant- Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a management and human resources consulting firm.Email:email@example.com or visit our websites https://www.thehumancapitalhub.com/ and www.ipcconsultants.com