A digital marketing manager manages the company's online presence to drive sales. They are responsible for posting content online and ensuring the performance of such content. Their job includes managing the company's online marketing campaigns. This could include looking at the company brand and promoting the company's products and services. They often use online metrics to track the performance of digital content.
Therefore, the digital marketing manager job descriptions should outline the key responsibilities for this role and the knowledge, Skills, Abilities and other characteristics (KSAOs) required for an individual to perform this job successfully.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description: Overall Purpose of the job
They are responsible for developing, executing, and monitoring all digital marketing initiatives across all digital channels. They are overall in charge of developing and executing the company's digital strategy to increase sales and grow market share. Overall the digital marketing strategy should lead to better brand equity for the company.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description: Primary duties
The digital marketing manager job description often lists the primary responsibilities for the role. Such primary responsibilities should focus on the essential duties for the role's success. Below I share some of these duties:
- Develops and executes a digital marketing strategy to drive sales for the company's products.
- Plans digital marketing campaigns to increase sales for the company's products and services.
- Executives email and social media campaigns to increase the visibility of the company's brands, services and products.
- Documents and assess the effectiveness of online marketing campaigns by checking on the leads generated by each platform.
- Assesses the conversion of the leads generated from each platform to enable resource allocation and optimization on those channels most effective at lead conversion.
- Tracks and reports on online metrics to enable the performance of company content posted online.
- Develops strategies to grow social media following on all company social media handles.
- Tracks google analytics metrics to assess the performance of marketing content posted on the company's website.
- Assess the effectiveness of all digital campaigns, specifically checking how they drive company sales.
- Uses digital challenges to assess trends in consumer preferences and optimizes the channels to get more sales.
- Develop and execute experiments to test various options to increase leads and conversions.
- Ensures that the company's website is optimized for SEO to enable repeat visitors.
- Assess end-to-end user experience on all digital platforms to increase content reach for the company.
Related: Why digital marketing
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description: Educational Qualifications
This role requires an individual with a background in marketing background but with high digital literacy. In some instances, such individuals will have a combination of IT and Marketing academic backgrounds. Below are some educational requirements you should consider including in the digital marketing manager job description.
- A degree in marketing or a related field.
- Knowledge of infographic design tools is a requirement.
- Certification in digital marketing is an added advantage.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description: Experience Required
Individuals succeeding in this role will likely have hands-on experience handling digital marketing assignments. I list below some of the necessary experience required for an individual to excel in this role.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role is mandatory.
- A demonstratable performance track record in leading a digital marketing function is required.
- A demonstrable experience record leading a team of a tech-savvy digital marketing team is mandatory.
- Experience in developing and leading the deployment of online marketing experiments.
- Experience using social post scheduling platforms to increase the efficiency and reach of social media posts.
- Experience developing and executing on-page and off-page SEO strategies.
- Experience using Google Analytics to track key metrics for the company website.
- Experience handling social media and email campaigns is required.
- Experience dealing with online ad agencies.
- Experience running Google Adwords is a mandatory requirement.
- Experience using content management and email marketing software.
- Experience with display advertising platforms is required.
Digital Marketing Manager Job Description: Other Characteristics required
Besides the educational qualifications and experience, the digital marketing manager job description needs to capture other critical attributes required for someone to be successful in this role. I list below some of the attributes you should include in the job description of the Digital Marketing Manager.
- The candidate must have strong analytics skills.
- Must be up to date with the latest trends in digital marketing.
- A high level of digital literacy is a must-have skill.
- Knowledge of various social media platforms is a requirement.
- A highly creative individual will suit this role.
- Good oral and written communication is an essential skill for this role.
- Content management skills are a prerequisite.
- Good knowledge and usage of online marketing tools.
- The ability to work in a team environment is a requirement in this role.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds is a requirement.
- Ability to segment the market and run targeted marketing campaigns.
- Good attention to detail.
- The ability to multi-task is critical in this role.
A Digital Marketing Manager job is an anchor role in today's modern and digital marketing. When preparing a job description for this role, ensure you do not miss the essential duties. Feel free to customize this template when creating a digital marketing manager job description. As you will be aware, it is essential to make sure the duties you list in such a job description are essential for your company's success. I recommend leaving out trial and peripheral duties when creating such a job description.
Memory Nguwi is an Occupational Psychologist, Data Scientist, Speaker, & Managing Consultant- Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a management and human resources consulting firm.Email:firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our websites https://www.thehumancapitalhub.com/ and www.ipcconsultants.com