The Accounts Payable Clerk job description is critical in the accounting department. This position is responsible for processing all accounts payable transactions, including invoices, payments, and expense reports. Additionally, the Accounts Payable Clerk will monitor ageing accounts to ensure timely payment of vendors. The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent problem-solving skills and be highly organized as they will manage many accounts simultaneously.
Depending on the organization, the accounts payable clerk undertakes most of the clerical work regarding payments within the accounting department. Additionally, they keep track of purchase requisitions and handle payments that suppliers or customers send to the business' accounts department.
The accounts payable clerk job description should list the primary duties, the knowledge, skills, abilities, and other qualities (KSAO) necessary for an individual to perform the job well.
The accounts payable clerk job description might include the need for the incumbent to have knowledge and skills in general accounting procedures, accounts payable practices, and related accounting software, like QuickBooks.
Additionally, there is a need for the incumbent to be well-organized, pay close attention to detail, have strong communication skills, and be an effective problem solver. Managing supplier invoices is one of the most crucial skill sets an accounts payable clerk can have because it is likely to be a primary duty of the position.
Accounts payable clerks are frequently seen as positions in entry-level sections depending on the organization, some may require some experience.
Job Description of Accounts Payable Clerk: Overall Purpose of the job
An Accounts Payable Clerk is responsible for processing all invoices received for payment and undertaking the payment of all creditors in an accurate, efficient and timely manner. Account payable clerks often collaborate with the financial accountant or the accounting manager.
Job description for an accounts payable clerk: Responsibilities and duties
A job description for an accounts payable clerk typically includes some of the duties and responsibilities listed below:
- Ensures that payment requisitions are correct before payment by checking for accuracy, authenticity, completeness and credibility of supporting documents.
- Performs analytic review of bank balance changes by comparing bank account movements to prior balance and compares results with actual bank statement balance.
- Prepares monthly management packs by ensuring that all month-end inputs have been captured.
- Ensures the completeness and accuracy of all transactions by checking receivables and payables ledger balances and tallies them with the prepared reconciliation listings.
- Validates notable variances in journals and balances for management action by checking the correctness and completeness.
- Manages day-to-day invoice processing from procurement departments from various suppliers by going through and actioning billing requests.
- Ensures suppliers are paid on time and according to current payment policies.
- Prepares and sustains Excel worksheets.
- Maintains available cash flow and business needs by preparing and recommending payment prioritization.
- Tracks the movement in the statement balances by supervising internet banking operations and monitoring bank account access.
- Oversees the reconciliation of bank and credit card accounts and general ledger journal entries by monitoring all accounting systems in place.
Job description for an accounts payable clerk: Educational Qualifications
The nature and level of qualification for this role can vary by organization. The accounts payable clerk job description often lists some educational qualifications needed, with a high school diploma as the least required. Below are some standard educational requirements for the accounts payable clerk job.
- A diploma/degree in accounting, finance, business, or a related field is a prerequisite.
- Knowledge of office applications is a mandatory requirement.
Job description for an accounts payable clerk: Experience Required
Some accounts payable clerk descriptions require at least two years of experience in a similar role. Again, the extent of the experience required varies from organization to organization.
Listed below are some of the experience requirements for the accounts payable clerk job:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar role is often a requirement.
- A concrete understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable principles.
Job description for an accounts payable clerk: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics (KSAO)
- High levels of attention to detail.
- Self-driven, meticulous, and well-organized.
- Written and verbal communication abilities.
- Basic accounting and math abilities.
- Analytical ability is required.
- Good understanding of office procedures.
- Typing Precision
- Multitasking ability
- Collaborative skills are essential for this role.
The job description for an accounts payable clerk is responsible for managing the day-to-day accounting activities related to the accounts payable process. This includes processing invoices, preparing payments, monitoring account balances, and reconciling discrepancies. Individuals in this role will need to maintain accurate financial records and use problem-solving skills to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.
Tanyaradzwa Shava is a Talent Acquisition Consultant at Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a business management and human resources consulting firm.
LinkedIn: Tanyaradzwa Shava
Phone: (0242) 481946-9/481950
Mobile: (+263) 713289019
Main website: www.ipcconsultants.com