Growth and development initiatives empower employees to enhance their expertise, talents, and abilities and adapt the skills they've learned to unfamiliar scenarios. The ability to gain new talents and skills may improve employee engagement, and allow employees to handle stress at work more successfully. This, in turn, can result in positive gains for the company through improved productivity which is a by-product of engaged employees. In addition to this, the quality and ability of employees will improve, as well as making the company more attractive to top talent.
articles in content ad
Through offering growth and development opportunities, companies can increase the standard of the work experience of their workers and reap the benefits of employees that reach their full potential. In worldwide research conducted by the BlessingWhite consultancy firm, employees revealed they are staying at a company because they enjoy the work they perform. However, the number one reason that they leave is to develop their career further.
The workplace environment was found to be the primary reason employees stay with a company, where 30 percent was quoted saying, "I like the work I do." Only 17 percent of respondents stated career opportunities as the primary reason for staying in the job. However, when it came to the reasons for leaving a job, the primary reason cited was the lack of opportunities for career growth and development, with 26 percent (more than a quarter) of respondents attesting to this. â €
Working is interconnected with learning and consequently, workplace learning is how skills are upgraded and knowledge is acquired at the place of work. Workplace learning mostly occurs through work-related interactions and is generally described as contributing to the learning of both the individual employee and the organization as a whole
Ways to offer growth and development opportunities
- Encourage professional growth: The status quo doesn't satisfy high-potential employees. They will become the future leaders of your company if they provide proper guidance in their growth.
- Develop a development plan: Have the staff set goals that are consistent with their talents, interest, and expertise and the overall business strategy. Establish goals and expectations to help them repair career opportunities in their sights.
- Mentorship: For someone in a position close to the staff, mentoring employees may promote positive and productive working relationships, offering support, and encouraging workers in their careers. Employees may help a company respond to changes and achieve its goals when motivated by guidance and support.
- Help you build your networks: Consider corporate opportunities and networking or professional groups to aid in developing good connections.
- Challenge job workers: Get your team out of their comfort zones. If they don't grow, workers can not move forward, and they will not grow if they never leave their comfort zones.
- Show employees that you trust them: If you want to help employees improve, support them by getting out of the way, to do their work. Let them know what your standards are by clearly stating your desired outcomes and expectations. Then show them you trust them. It not only lets workers know what they need to achieve, allowing them more ownership, but it also shows them the value of integrity and trust in the organization.
Every company has its own set of priorities to help take it to the next level and knowing which initiatives will make the greatest impact can be tough. But what makes a business prosperous and truly differentiates one organization from the rest is not the product it sells or the service it offers, it’s the people within it.
Taking care of your employees does not simply mean offering fun happy hours or paying for lunch once a week. Each person, no matter their level or where they choose to work, wants to feel genuinely cared for. An impactful way to do this is through a commitment to support their professional advancement and personal growth.
Employee development is a long-term initiative, but it also leads to short-term benefits like increased loyalty and improved performance and engagement. Here are five ways you can begin improving employee development at your company.
Workplace learning can improve employee performance by giving them the means to grow with the company and contribute to a culture built around performance. Employees are more likely to succeed when allowed to do so. Continuous learning in the workplace makes employees knowledgeable about their role and how to better enrich their time at work.
Workplace learning presents an opportunity to expand the knowledge and skills of all employees. It can help the company’s mission and vision and is recommended as a tool to engage employees and invest in the growth of the company. Workplace learning should be a top priority because it is going to happen, regardless of the methods used to administer it. As an employer, You must take this process seriously because it can be the reason for your company’s success or the beginning of its downfall.
Carl Tapi is a Consultant at Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a management and human resources consulting firm. https://www.linkedin.com/in/carl-tapi-45776482/ Phone +263 (242) 481946-48/481950 or cell number +263 772 469 680 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.ipcconsultants.com
View Carl Tapi's full profile