A stores manager job description is a critical job profile for any organization. A stores manager is responsible for directing all warehouse operations. This includes accelerating the receiving and shipping of goods and ensuring that storage is organized. They make sure that all incoming and outgoing goods are processed on schedule.
The stores manager job description is responsible for the entire inventory and stock. They maintain, order, and organize all products.
Businesses that keep and deliver goods or resources depend on a well-run warehouse. A stores manager is responsible for overseeing this function of the business. They ensure that the organization's stock levels are aligned with the business's needs. A stores manager oversees the delivery, dispatch, and storage of goods. Their job also facilitates in-house transfers amongst departments of the same business enterprise.
The stores manager job description typically calls for a first degree in Supply Chain Management or equivalent. A stores manager will need to have experience utilizing warehouse management systems. The most effective stores managers are incredibly organized and are good team players.
Stores Manager Job Description: Overall Purpose of the job
The stores manager is responsible for the day-to-day running of the stores and warehouse function. They will ensure that the stores operation is customer-focused, efficient, and cost-effective. The stores manager will also be responsible for the management and development of the stores team.
A stores manager will be responsible for overall supervision and management of all store department activities. Oversees the receiving, storing, and issuing of supplies and equipment. In addition, they are responsible for maintaining inventory levels and the accuracy of stock records. A stores manager is responsible for the safety and security of all stores personnel and assets.
A stores manager oversees procedures in the stores department. They monitor all stocks and inventory levels. they are responsible for arranging the safe and well-organized delivery, storage, and dispatch of warehoused goods.
Stores Manager Job Description: Primary duties
A stores manager job description lists the key responsibilities of the role. Such responsibilities should focus on essential duties. Below I have shared some of these duties:
- Develops and executes stores operational procedures by closely monitoring compliance with standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Coordinates stock control operations by liaising with the stores team, sales, and finance departments.
- Avoids overstocking and running out of stock by projecting supply and demand levels.
- Keeps inventory lists and assets lists by documenting and filing.
- Keeps stores database up to date by entering vendor information, pricing, and invoices.
- Updates stock data on the internal system by conducting data entry.
- Coordinates and oversees regular inventory audits by scheduling such audits.
- Develops strategies to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the stores function by reviewing the processes.
- Ensures purchases stay within allocated budgets by minimizing operational costs.
- Assesses the effectiveness of all stores team members by meeting set targets.
- Trains and supervises stores staff by enforcing learning and growth initiatives.
- Increases performance of team members by appraising staff.
- Ensures compliance with safety and health regulations by closely monitoring day-to-day operations.
- Ensures timeous handling of cargo by liaising and communicating with transport companies, suppliers, and clients.
- Maintains financial and statistical records by filing such records.
- Ensures safe and effective use of stores machinery and equipment by enforcing safety measures.
- Maintains knowledge and awareness of the location and condition of fleet vehicles by tracking vehicles in real-time.
- Liaises with stores staff to assess product quality upon delivery by using product assessment procedures.
- Ensures goods are delivered on time by tracking inbound or dispatched shipments.
- Guarantee constant availability of stock by analyzing the supply chain trends.
- Coordinates stock transfers amongst departments of the same business enterprise by keeping track of all stock levels.
- Assesses warehouse arrangement and stacking practices to ensure safety and efficiency in the warehouse.
- Ensures product receiving and warehousing is carried out by supervising stores team.
- Upholds hygiene, security, and health standards by ensuring compliance with health and safety measures.
Stores Manager Job Description: Educational Qualifications
An individual in this role must have a background in supply chain management. Below are some educational requirements you should consider including in the stores manager job description.
- A degree in Supply Chain Management/Purchasing and Supply or a related field.
- Prior knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) is an added advantage.
Stores Manager Job Description: Experience Required
Individuals who succeed in this role have practical experience in inventory management. I have listed below some of the required experience necessary for an individual to deliver in this role.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the supply chain field.
- An impressive performance record in championing a stores department is required.
- High command of Microsoft Office packages.
- Experience in dealing with transport companies and suppliers.
- Experience in team management.
- Experience developing and executing operating procedures.
- Experience in preparing timeous reports.
- Experience handling high pressures of work.
- Working knowledge of inventory management software(s).
- Good understanding of supply chain procedures and legal requirements to limit legal exposure.
Stores Manager Job Description: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics (KSAO)
A stores manager job description has to include other essential attributes necessary for an individual to succeed in this role. I list below some of the attributes you should include in the job description of a stores manager.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must be up to date with the prevailing supply chain procedures and trends.
- High computer literacy.
- Excellent coordination skills.
- Good report writing skills.
- Good oral and written communication.
- Excellent negotiation abilities.
- Good supervisory and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work as an active member of a team is key in this role.
- The ability to work with people from various backgrounds. suppliers, transporters, and authorities.
- Ability to read market trends.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to multi-task is critical.
- Problem-identification, problem-solving, and decision-making skills
- A highly goal-orientated, driven, and motivated individual is required for this role
A stores manager job description is pivotal in the running of a business. The typical employers of stores managers include manufacturers, retailers, and logistics companies. When preparing a job description for this role, it is essential to ensure that you do not miss important duties.
Ultimately, it is essential to ensure that the primary duties and responsibilities listed in a job description of this nature are tailor-made for your company.
Brandon Murambinda is an Organisational Design and Development Consultant at Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a management and human resources consulting firm. Email:firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our websites https://www.thehumancapitalhub.com/ and www.ipcconsultants.com