A personal mission statement is a statement of who you are, what you have achieved, what is important to you, how you contribute to others, and what goals you have for the future. According to Morrisey (1992), A personal mission statement can help professionals clarify their career directions, focus their energies on the business they should be engaged in, and identify the philosophies and values that will guide every major business decision that they make.
A personal mission statement can help you identify your values and goals, defining what matters most to you professionally. It makes decision-making easier as well, as it clarifies whether the decisions you're making are in alignment with what you want for your life (Bostwick, et. al., 2016). A personal mission statement does take significant time and effort to create, although when finished, it provides a substantial payoff. This article will highlight some of the best personal mission statements by some prominent figures.
Examples of a mission statement
- "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela
2. "To make people happy" –Walt Disney
3. “To serve as a leader, live a balanced life, and apply ethical principles to make a significant difference.” –Denise Morrison, Former CEO of Campbell Soup Company
4. “To have fun in my journey through life and learn from my mistakes.” –Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Group
5. “Not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.” –Maya Angelou
6. “My life purpose, to love and honor God, is foundational. My professional purpose is to be a ‘Builder’ of a future that transcends ways of working for the wellbeing of people and businesses throughout the world.” –Miles Everson, Former Vice Chairman, PwC US
7. "If something is important enough you should try, even if the probable outcome is failure" –Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla
8. “To be a teacher. And to be known for inspiring my students to be more than they thought they could be.” –Oprah Winfrey
9. “Treat people how you want to be treated.” –Lou Gerencer, CEO one of the top ten Harley dealerships in the US
10. “To do well by doing good while supporting and elevating those around me.” –Scott Shuda, Chairman of Infusystem, Inc.
11. “I shall not fear anyone on Earth. I shall fear only God. I shall not bear ill will toward anyone. I shall not submit to injustice from anyone. I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.” –Mahatma Gandhi
12. “I define personal success as being consistent to my own personal mission statement: to love God and love others.” –Joel Manby, CEO of Herschend Family Entertainment
13. "I want to serve the people. And I want every girl, every child to be educated" –Malala Yousafzai, Nobel Prize laureate and activist
14.“To use my gifts of intelligence, charisma, and serial optimism to cultivate the self-worth and net-worth of women around the world.” –Amanda Steinberg, Dailyworth.com
15. “Embrace something bigger than yourself. Continually improve your skills. Inspire others to achieve great things and make the world a better place. This is how the quiet humble person leaves their mark.” –Jeffrey Madden, Senior VP and Portfolio Manager at RMB Capital
16. “To help people find hope after loss" –Gloria Horsley, Founder of Open to Hope
17. “To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson, American 19th century essayist, lecturer, philosopher, and poet
18. "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier." -Mother Teresa, Saint, Albanian-Indian Roman Catholic nun and missionary.
19. “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson, Novelist
20. “In the end, it’s not the years of your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln, 16th president of the United States
- “Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not” – Oscar Wilde, Irish 18th Century Poet
Morrisey, George L. "Your personal mission statement: a foundation for your future." Training & Development, vol. 46, no. 11, Nov. 1992, p. 71+
Li ST, Frohna JG, Bostwick SB Acad Pediatr, Using Your Personal Mission Statement to INSPIRE and Achieve Success. 17(2):107-109, 19 Nov 2016
Lindah Mavengere is a Business Consultant at Industrial Psychology Consultants (Pvt) Ltd, a business management and human resources consulting firm.
Phone: +263 242 481946-48/481950
Mobile: +263 717 988 319
Main Website: www.ipcconsultants.com
View Lindah Mavengere's full profile